Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Note to Earth: Swallow me up please. Thanks.

I went to the grocery store today.

With the kids.

Dear God help me.

It all started with the three of us going down one of the aisles and we come across a mom and her two daughters. One of the daughters obviously had some sort of disability. So Connor remarks (loudly), "look at that girl's funny face." I said, "she doesn't have a funny face, she is very pretty." Trying to score points with mom. OH MY! I wanted to die right then and there. We have talked time and time again about NOT talking about what people look like. (His favorite is saying someone is "dark", to their face.) Where does he come up with this? We are not racist people, although it sounds like it every time I take Connor in public.

So then a cute story. We are waiting at the deli counter and Connor says to a lady, "I am Connor William Anderson. This is Clara William Anderson. And Mommy William Anderson." I think I should legally change my name to Mommy William Anderson. But AGAIN Connor is NOT supposed to tell random strangers his name. First name, okay; but full name?!? As I try to play the whole "ha ha isn't he funny" thing I look over and Clara has taken off her sweater and proceeds to blow her nose in it. Not wipe her nose, blow her nose. Gross. She had snot EVERYWHERE! All over her face, hands, sweater, you name it; it probably had snot on it. I use my sleeve to clean up her face (I had to use something!) and continue on my way.

We FINALLY get through the check out line and head out to the car and an older car that has a huge dent in it pulls into a spot. As we are walking by, and the guy is getting out, Connor yells, "Wow! That car had an accident, now it is smashed! What a piece of JUNK!"

Wine anyone?

4 comments:

  1. I swear our boys could be twins. Chase went through this stage. I dont think its that he is racest its that he doesnt see different people very often? With hubby's job we had to go through telling him he didnt tell everyone that Daddy will throw them in jail. Not something we want advertised. I used to just cringe at the thought of going to the store or church. I never knew what was going to come out of this kids mouth! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! I laughed out loud at this--not at your pain, but situationally--especially Clara and her nose-blowing sweater!

    Some days are just like that! And yes, I'll have a glass with you, perhaps followed by a margarita?

    Cheers to not needing to go back to the grocery store for at least a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the funniest thing ive hear all week-
    its funny becuase i can hear him saying that and clara oh clara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through Mommy Chronicles....
    your story cracked me up.
    I can JUST imagine!
    My twins used to be soooo observant of people that were "different". Which is funny cause one of my twins has a slight "difference".
    But nonetheless...as much as i try to explain to them the same things you were explaining to your son...they STILL choose to publicly announce how FAT that REALLY black skinned woman is!

    Oy....i can only appologize and beat the kids later.

    ReplyDelete