Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Curse of the Mysterious Bag Balm



Back when Connor was three years old, I put him down for a nap and went downstairs to read a book. I was at the beginning of my pregnancy with Clara, and was exhausted. I read for about an hour, and I get a phone call and proceed outside to talk in the warm sun. After my call, I head back inside and hear Connor upstairs banging on his door screaming bloody murder. I freak out and bolt upstairs to find him covered head to toe in Bag Balm. The large can is empty. Bag Balm is EVERYWHERE. He was scared because he must have realized that he should not have been spreading this into every crevice in his room and tried to come get me. Well, the Bag Balm was all over his hands and he couldn't get his door open. I had to clean all of his toys, clean most of his bedding, scrub his walls, door, table, bookcase , a few books, you name it, it was greasy. I even had to throw some items away. I made him sit in his chair and watch me clean it all up. The bath he took was hell, because it would not come off. I am not even sure where this can of Bag Balm came from. We had it a few years before, because someone told me to use it as a diaper rash solution (it works!) but we hadn't used it in quite some time. This had to have started out as a near-new can. Thank goodness I had my friends Christie and Brenda on their way to visit. They helped me out tremendously. Everything turned out okay, except Connor's carpet is scarred with a huge grease stain. It turned into a huge joke after everything calmed down. Christie even bought me some Bag Balm at Clara's baby shower. Hilarious. I laughed my ass off when I opened that gift! I just threw it under my bathroom sink and forgot about it.

Fast forward to today. I am vacuuming upstairs and Clara and Connor are playing in Clara's room. The gate is up at the top of the stairs, my bedroom door is shut and the bathroom door is shut. I finish vacuuming and I hear "uh oh, icky..." I notice the bathroom door is open (Connor needs to learn to shut it after using the potty!) and I knew what happened before I could see it. The smell of the medicated goo engulfed my nose so fast I almost had an anxiety attack. Clara found the Bag Balm. Or did the Bag Balm find Clara? It was all over her and the floor. Thank goodness she was in the bathroom where I can just wipe it up! I gave her a bath, and checked the cupboards to make sure that there is NO MORE BAG BALM in my house. EVER. I will where my "anti-Bag Balm" badge proud! It IS time for change! America should not live in FEAR of medicated ointment!

JUST SAY "NO" TO BAG BALM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment