Thursday, December 4, 2008

Is Christmas spirit is still out there?

I have been SOOOOO disappointed in humanity these last few days. I was disgusted on Saturday when I opened the newspaper to find out an employee was TRAMPLED to DEATH during the opening of a Wal-Mart on Black Friday. And then customers complained when told they had to leave when they waited for hours for the store to open. Big fricking deal people. Get over your damn sale, a man has DIED! And shame on Walk-Mart (where I refuse to shop anyway, this is just another reason why) for REOPENING the store THE SAME DAY!!!! They were worried about sales amongst a tragedy? Sick. Those poor people had to work while looking at the same place that their co-worker JUST died! Any mourning time at all? No. Money is that important to people. It makes me sooo sick thinking about it. I waited on purpose to blog about these events, hoping that my anger would die down a little. But no. I am still so upset by the actions of all of these people. Now they are talking about pressing charges against the people who just walked over this poor man. Good. I hope they do! People make me sick.

But, I did witness a wonderful thing yesterday. Something that gives me hope for society. Something that shows not everyone is as greedy and horrible as the people in the above section. I went to our grocery store (Winco, for those of you who know it) and was checking out with the kids. I was bagging my groceries as the cashier rang up the person behind me. (Each cashier has 2 lanes and you bag your groceries yourself) and she told the man, his total ($27 something). The man, who seemed very poor, and probably slightly mentally challenged, look horrified and said, "Oh no, I only have $20!". They man behind him, said, "Don't worry, give me your $20 and I will get the rest." And swiped his debit card. The first guy looked soooo thrilled. He just stammered out a, "thank you very much!" and went to bag his groceries. I was beaming from ear to ear! It was only $7 that he gave him, but it meant SO MUCH to that guy! It was a wonderful thing to witness!

Have you ever witnessed or done a random act of kindness like that before?

3 comments:

  1. Starbucks drive through....I have gone twice this year and the person at the window said that the person in front of me had already paid! So I then, paid for the person behind me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Wonderful!

    What an amazing thing to witness...doesn't it just give you the incentive to do something sweet like that!

    I've always wanted to pay for the coffee for the people behind me at Starbuck's...just because! Maybe I will this weekend! thanks for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Bethie, I paid for a young man's flowers for his girlfriend last year. He looked forlorn last Christmas- it was her birthday, and he didn't have enough to pay for them, and he looked so sad, and I just said, I'll take care of it. It felt so good to do that!

    ReplyDelete